Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Baltimore Christmas



Since we weren't able to fly anywhere due to my impending due date, we celebrated our first Baltimore Christmas, here. I worked on Christmas day, so we did most of our celebrating on the 24th. We woke up in new Christmas pj's, ate a big breakfast of pull-aparts, eggs, bacon, and OJ, and then opened up everything under the tree as we listened to Christmas music. We received so much stuff... I think our families felt bad for us that we had to stay out here. Thanks mom and dad, and all our sibs for so many great gifts. It was fun to celebrate our own little Christmas together. Later on we took a nap, went out to see the movie "Enchanted" (it's great) and then went out to dinner.

On the real Christmas morning, I went to work, expecting to be there for my full 12+ hours, but came to find out that I won the "lottery" and got to go home early! Yay! I stayed at work till about 2pm. The Pediatric ICU is always a special place, but it was actually kind of cool to be there on Christmas. It is sometimes hard for me to know that most of the children there don't have much longer to live, and really have no idea that it is Christmas. But I still opened up a stocking for my tiny little patient, and read him his new book, and wrapped him in his new Christmas blanket. As he stared at me with his huge dark eyes, I could feel that there was a special spirit there that made me grateful that I was able to serve these children on Christmas.

Chad picked me up from Johns Hopkins and we got to spend the rest of the day together. We went to visit our friends the Hales who just had their little boy a few days ago. It made us so excited for our much anticipated holiday package... our little baby who should be here in just a few weeks. We can't wait. I think Chad has been "nesting" even more than I have as he has cleaned out and organized all of our storage, and every single square inch of our house from baseboards to ceiling fans to drawer compartments in preparation for this little guy to come. What a great husband!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!!!

7 comments:

AJ said...

Merry Christmas Burnhams! Hope you hung a Chicken Wing or something on your First Tree to commemorate the first Baltimore Christmas.

Carissa, Brandon, Carly, & Tyler said...

Merry Christmas! Of course Em won the lottery! We're glad you guys had a fun Christmas. We're glad Chad is nesting so Em can get a little rest. :)

Laura said...

your little belly is so cute! I bet you cant wait for your little guy to come join the family! you and chad are such good sports to have christmas on your own - it's really different to be away from family! we just spent christmas #6 out here in buffalo and I cant wait to be home for the holidays and to spend christmas with my family!

Angela Hill said...

your belly is so cute and little Em! I'm jealous. It looks like you guys had a great holiday. I keep checking back waiting to see a pic of your little guy. Can't wait!!

Armstrongs said...

I can still remember being pregnant with Chase during Christmas and having to be without family on Christmas day with a Jan 18 due date. I remember that Christmas because it was so quiet...now it is a little chaotic! Appreciate the quiet memory!

Adrienne said...

Hey guys! How's it going? I just barely started a blog and ran accross yours. THe blogging world is a small world! Emily- you look so cute and ready to have that baby. Good luck with everything. Hope to see you soon and meet the little one!
Love- Adrienne and JD

callie said...

you look so cute in your christmas pj's! steve and i spent our first christmas by ourselves on our honeymoon in jamaica with a skinny jamaican dressed as santa on the beach!