Friday, February 29, 2008

Parker's getting surgery.

So, as most of you know I am a Pediatric ICU nurse at Johns Hopkins, and have been ultra paranoid about anything happening to Parker because of all the stuff I have seen. Well, Tuesday night, I was changing Parker's diaper and noticed a little swelling in his right groin. Having worked in the Pediatric operating room for 2 years before the ICU, I had seen my fair share of inguinal hernia repairs, and knew that was what I was looking at. ( an inguinal hernia is where part of the small intestine pushes through the inguinal ligament and the floor of the abdomen into the groin area.) I took Park into our pediatrician the next morning for a real diagnosis. He confirmed that was what it was and told me he usually sets up surgery at a certain hospital. I really wanted Parker to be seen at Hopkins since I knew all the surgeons there and was more comfortable with him getting it done in a place that I had actually worked. So, I made a few calls and we went in today to see one of my favorite pediatric surgeons, who I have actually scrubbed in and assisted with this exact surgery so many times. He took a look at Parker and posted us for surgery on Tuesday morning. The surgery will be short and sweet, and we will actually be able to go home later that same day. I feel so bad for our little Parker, but I know he really needs this and will be just fine. I couldn't be happier about how everything worked out to get him set up for surgery. I feel so much better about everything knowing the exact operating room set up, hand picking my nurses and anesthesiologist for the case, and personally knowing the surgeon who I have helped in doing this exact operation. It will definitely be a crazy day being on the other side of it all, and I have already been emotional about it. Wow, it sure is different when it is YOUR kid. Parker is the sweetest baby and we love him to pieces. I'll keep the blog updated on how it all goes. Here is a little diagram, if you are interested. They just make a little incision, and practically push the intestine up where it's supposed to go... magic.



Other than the hernia, Parker is doing great and has learned to smile. It is the cutest thing ever and melts my heart. I have tried to get pictures but he is pretty stubborn when the camera comes out. I'll keep trying. He weighs 9 lbs, 7ounces now and is 21.5 inches long. What a cutie!

10 comments:

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Emily, It's a good thing you are a nurse. I am so sad to hear that. Keep us updated. Are you still going to be in So. Cal in March - because we need to see you guys. We miss you. Sam

georgeandmarie said...

Em..Sorry to hear about your little guy! My little girl has a herniated belly button... as you know you dont need surgery unless it doesn't heal on its own. But it looks like it doesn't feel good! I hate not being able to know exactly how they feel and what they need! Being a mom is like being a mind reader most of the time!!

mzwick said...

Only you would provide us with the medical procedure diagram. Thanks for the info. Love, Mom

mzwick said...

Ashley says she loves the pics. We will all be praying for him and fasting tomorrow. We love Parker and all of you!
Love,
Mom and kids

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Poor kiddo. He'll do great though. Good luck being on the "patient" side... it's no fun! I can't believe how adorable he is. You guys sure grow 'em cute!

Armstrongs said...

When Chase was just 16 months he had to go in for an MRI on his leg. I knew all the doctors and nurses and it brought me such peace of mind. Good luck...it is so different when it is your own little one.

Melissa said...

what a blessing to be able to pick the docs and nurses. good luck.

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Good luck Parks. Most champions have to go under the knife a few times. We'll be thinking of your parents as I'm sure they are really nervous. Let us know how it goes.

Leale said...

Wow. Anna's newborn baby girl just went through the exact same surgery. I was told it's not too common, but is quite unusual that i've heard of two cases within the same month. i'm sure he's feeling better now, and you as well. he's adorable!

love,
katie

The 4 Davis' said...

Hi Emily, It's Andreas old friend Jaymie. I was reading your blog and saw you were a nurse. I'm a scrub tech and work at a hospital here in Reno. That is awesome what you do. I remember you seemed to always be nurturing when you were younger. Your little boy is adorable. It's great to see what you and your family is up to. It's been so long. Love, Jaymie